- 1 pound locusts
- 7 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups sake
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup mirin
1. Boil the insects for 1 minute and drain in cold water.
2. Tear off the legs, which are tough and hard to chew.
3. Put locusts in a deep pan or wok and stir-fry them, around 10 minutes, or until all moisture is gone.
4. Pour in soy sauce, sake and sugar, mix well, and simmer for 2 hours, or until all moisture is gone and the locusts are candied.
5. Reduce until insects are dry, then add mirin and stir well to keep it from burning.
6. Turn off heat and serve in a bowl.